What We Do
Universities Wales (Unis Wales) promotes and supports universities in Wales, representing their collective interests to the National Assembly for Wales, UK Parliament, political parties, European institutions and bodies.
As the voice of higher education in Wales, Unis Wales represents its members in a number of ways:
- Unis Wales is the contact point for Welsh Government officials and officers of the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) on higher education issues.
- Unis Wales negotiates on behalf of the university sector on a range of issues, and ensures that the sector is fully represented within the structures of Universities UK, and in UK wide decision making bodies, such as the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and the Higher Education Academy.
- Unis Wales provides representation for universities on key HEFCW committees and a range of boards at other organisations, including Wales Higher Education Brussels.
Unis Wales has three key areas of activity:
- Building reputation – enhancing Wales’ universities’ reputation across the globe.
- Advocacy – representing the collective interests of Wales’ universities.
- Developing policy – providing a realistic evidence base for its own policy work, and for proposals by others.
Underpinning Unis Wales’s activity is its support for the cultural and social value of higher education. UnisWales operates in an open and transparent way with its partners.