- £40.5 million campus will be a progressive environment to encourage business and academic collaboration to flourish.
- Funded by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and by Aberystwyth University.
- Aberystwyth Innovation and Enterprise Campus will provide world leading facilities and expertise for the agri-tech industry and the bio-science sector.
The new Aberystwyth Innovation and Enterprise Campus will provide world-leading facilities for innovation in food, biorefining and agri-tech, and offer research and development and business support to new and established companies in these sectors.
Set on Aberystwyth University’s Gogerddan site, this £40.5 million campus will be a progressive environment to encourage business and academic collaboration to flourish.
Funded by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and Aberystwyth University, the new campus will house a biorefining pilot plant, a future food centre, analytical science laboratories and a seed processing and biobank facility. It will work alongside the scientific expertise found within Aberystwyth University’s Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS).
Planned research and innovation facilities include:
- Future Foods: A food grade environment for molecular testing, validation and improvement of existing and novel materials as foods including nutritional content, shelf life and consumer preferences.
- Bioprocessing and Biorefining: A pilot scale facility for extracting, analysing and optimising chemicals from biomass and waste stream materials with integral industrial biotechnology and food grade environment.
- Analytical Science: For analysis of nutrient absorption and discovery and validation of biomarkers of food functionality.
The new campus will also house a campus hub with meeting and event space and office space available for a new business community.
In 2018 Aberystwyth Innovation and Enterprise Campus launched its first accelerator programme for companies wishing to work towards investor readiness. BioAccelerateTM 2018 is developing a cohort of 12 businesses in all aspects of their business planning and offers the chance to pitch to investors at the end of the three-month programme.
For further information see https://www.aberinnovation.com/.